A special Gift for our Pets during the Holidays


With the holiday season upon us let’s not forget out pet’s safety. Many times animals will chew plants to get roughage like the fresh grass sprouts they find so appealing in the in the spring. Remember that whatever you bring into the home this season will be new to your pet and you must use precaution to keep them safe.

POINSETTIA can cause nausea and vomiting if ingested but be aware that if the plant has been treated with a pesticide this could be an additional cause for concern. Young puppies and kittens are the highest risk.

LILIES can have a severe effect on a cats system if even a small amount is ingested.

DAFODILLS are toxic to both dogs and cats, especially the bulbs.

HOLLY and MISTLETOE along with their berries have even a great toxicity than Poinsettia

AMARYLLIS can be extremely toxic including the bulb of the plant.

When putting up you tree, remember that lights and ornaments that dangle can be a temptation to young pets.  The oils produced by fir trees can be irritating to a pet’s mouth and stomach and the needles can puncture the gastrointestinal tract. Do not put lights on the lower branches and don’t forget to place the tinsel out of your pet’s reach.

By following these simple rules everyone will enjoy a healthy and safe Holiday Season.

Pet Emergency and Specialty Center of Marin

901 Francisco Blvd E, San Rafael


Post a Comment